Tuesday, December 18, 2012

CLOSING


Closing on this house was a NIGHTMARE!!!  By the time it came to closing, we didn't even want the house anymore.  We wanted to close on Oct. 1 but that is just what we (us and the owners) wanted.  We were never officially told a date to close until the week prior to closing. It turned into a HUGE mess!

The big hang up was our student loans.  The bank wanted to know exactly what our payments were going to be.  They had to have it in writing.  You would think that wouldn't be a big deal!  But it sure was!  Dave made SO many phone calls to Sallie Mae about this. I think the first thing we were told was that we needed to tell Sallie Mae that we wanted to take our loans out of deferment and start paying (based on income).  We were told that we should have the paper work in 4 weeks.  Well, that sure didn't happen and were told it we couldn't do that until Jan 2013. So, then we tried consolidating through the government and we were suppose to have that paper work by Nov. 21.  We did get a paper that stated that our loans were consolidated but our payments had not been figured out yet.  Dave had so many conference calls with the bank and the loan people.  Every time the same thing, they could give an estimate but couldn't put anything in writing.  The sellers by this time were wanting us to sign a paper that said if we didn't close on the house, we would pay them $3,000!  ARE YOU KIDDING!?  UH, NO!  This wasn't our fault!  We were doing all we could do to get this thing done. The original contract stated that we would buy the house unless financing didn't come through.  We were sticking with the original contract!  Then they wanted to redo the original purchase contract!  (We assumed so that we had to pay some of the closing) AGAIN,  NO! We gave our MO house away and had to pay closing on it!  Plus, had to put 3.5% down on this house. Well, long story short, we ended up selling our BOMO house and getting our loan info the same week so we could finally close!  Unfortunately, I wasn't even happy about buying the house.  I was just glad we didn't have to deal with it anymore.  Looking back now, it only took 2 1/2 mo longer to close on it than we wanted but it was a long 2 1/2 mo dealing with the sellers, the bank, all the paperwork, and all the student loan people!  We already want to move out and have my Dad build us a house....which we should have done in the first place.  The only thing holding me back is the MOVING part and going through closing on another house part.

I should be more grateful but the whole experience left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.  I am slowly getting over it and trying to make this house our home.  BUT, every time I go into the Master Bath and have no room and see the mold around the window, I curse it.  Every time I walk in from the garage into the laundry room and run into the other door, I curse it.  Every night when the lights are on and it is so dark in our house, I curse it..... UGH!  I know, I know....small small problems in the scheme of things.  I just feel like complaining right now.  I am grateful that we have a job, we are healthy, and everything is going well! Things could get really bad really fast and I am grateful that we don't have to face some of those horrible things that others have to go through.  I think it will just take some time for this house to feel like "Home" and one day I will be able to have the house that I want.  :-)  For now, I am trying to have a more grateful heart for the things that I do have and I do have everything that truly does matter.  Heres to not being so petty about the little material things in this life. :-)

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

If nothing else, Jenna, your post made me feel better about being renters right now. :) We are basically giving our house away, too, and I'm super stressed about how much we'll have to bring to closing (why don't they tell you things things in advance? It's not like I can snap my fingers and magically make thousands of dollars appear!) But hopefully by the end of the week it will all be over with.

I'm sorry you don't love your new house. Maybe in a couple years you can build your dream house and rent this one out... it would be a lot easier to be landlords when you live in the same town- you could do the darn cleaning yourself at least.

TJ said...

Where is your house? It looks cute from the outside?

Read This Too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...